Friday, January 12, 2018

scrap and stash projects

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
I've been working on this boxy pouch off and on over the past week or more. I broke up the steps (patchwork, quilting, assembly) over several days, which seemed to work out well. It was time consuming, but I love how it turned out!
I used this tutorial by Pink Stitches and I made the larger size. I was happy to use that pink strap for the handle, which was previously made for a purse, but then I decided not to use it after all. I hung on to it for several years, knowing that I would use it eventually. I'm extremely surprised that I was able to find it when I needed it! Ha!
I used a cheery spring green gingham from my stash for the lining.
I love that I was able to use up so many random scraps in this project! I pieced the patchwork as I did in my Scrap Vortex quilt along. (You can find the tutorial links at the bottom of this page.)
Remember my 101 scrap project challenge? I was looking back at some old blog posts the other day and realized that I fizzled out on that sometime last January. Since I was so close to completing my challenge for the second time, I decided that I needed to resume it. (We will just say that I took a nice long hiatus....ok?) All that to say, this is scrap project #194!

This next zip pouch was a much faster project....
I made this one for my daughter's friend as a belated Christmas gift. My daughter picked out the fabrics and I did the sewing. It looks perfect for a tween girl, doesn't it? (It's good to have some purple in the stash after all, I guess! Who knew? Ha!)
For the lining I used a stripe that compliments the exterior. I used my two color zip pouch pattern (available here), with a few modifications. I used one fabric for the exterior instead of two and I quilted the exterior panels onto a thin cotton batting before assembling the pouch. It adds a little bit of extra structure and texture.

I'm happy to report that my daughter's friend LOVES the pouch and uses it every day at school. Woohoo!

One more project from the stash to share....
I made these cloth napkins for my neighbor's son who just moved into his first house. He was hinting last summer that his mom needed to learn how to make some so he could have a set or two for when he moved to his new place. Well, I remembered that hint and was happy to sew them up for him. He was thrilled. What a great guy! :) I cut 18" squares and hemmed them up. Quick, easy and practical!
 
That's it for me today! Now it's your turn to link up your finishes for the week. Thanks so much for joining me for finish it up Friday! I hope you have a GREAT weekend!
 

21 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a cute bag - the colors are so happy!

karen said...

Everything looks great. My favorite is the adorable scrappy box bag!

Melissa Corry said...

Those pouches are so cute!!! And I love the scrappy goodness of the box pouch ;) I have that on my to make someday list ;) And I love the idea of a long hiatus on your scrappy projects!! I am going to borrow that and say that some of my quilts have had a long hiatus as well :) Thanks for another week of scrappy inspiration!!

Alison V. said...

I love both of those pouches! I love the red handle on the first one. :)

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Amanda,
All your projects are fantastic but I really love that tween pouch. I can see why she uses it every day at school. C.U.T.E. I wonder what you are doing with the boxy pouch bag? Without having the dimensions it reminds me of a bag I had longgggggg ago to carry my shoes in to school. I just love all the patchwork fabrics and they go so well together. Better than cute!!
~smile~ Roseanne

Jayne said...

I have never made a boxy pouch...but drool over them every time I see on! Yours is wonderful! I love the scrappy nature of it! Thanks for the inspiration!

Charlotte M. said...

Love all the projects, but especially the napkins. I love cloth napkins. I have a couple of sets that I made and we have recently replaced them after 5 years of constant use. Such a great idea for a gift.

Tracie said...

I love all your projects, and the cloth napkins for a guy warmed my heart. What a great idea! I love using cloth napkins and my son, who likes to cook, might appreciate them as a gift from Mom.

em's scrapbag said...

Your boxy pouch is adorable. Thanks for sharing the link for the tutorial.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Super cute pouches and now I'm itching to make napkins! So lovely to have handmade gifts gratefully received and knowing they'll be happily used!

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

I love the pouches! The napkins are a great house-warming gift - great idea!

grammajudyb said...

I agree with the others, commenting. All your projects are cute as the dickens! You do scrappy so well! Loving the fox fabric in the napkins, my daughter would love those!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Very cute, and I love that you used scraps :) xx

Suzanne said...

I love how so little is wasted in your sewing economy. I mean, using a strap from a former project; that’s genius. Time for me to go back to the vortex tutorials to refresh my memory. Your tutorials never grow old.

Tracybug Creative said...

So much fun to see that fabric get a new life and home as those napkins!

Christina said...

These are such fun projects! I have some scraps left from the crazy rails quilt that I made with the help of your tutorial, they'll be perfect for the box pouch. Have a lovely weekend.

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

I love the fabric you used for the napkins - I'd be secretly trying to make sure I ended up with the animals fabric every single time!!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Great zip pouches. I'm terrible about making non-quilt things but have been meaning to use up some fabrics for napkins. Just curious if you have ever made two sided napkins and if so did you do any stitching to hold the layers together through the middle. My thought is to stitch two layers across a few times and then self bind by folding one layer over the other around the edges. Any thoughts?

Sue @ Quilting the Green Star said...

I just wanted to thank you for the link up party. I so enjoy reading the other links and it helps to focus my week too. I have just bought your new book, so inspiring!
Thanks Amanda, Happy New Year!

FlourishingPalms said...

Until you shared this project, I never thought about making fabric - yardage - using the scrap vortex method, and then turning it into something else. Genius! I'm adding this idea to my 2018 list of projects, which in all honesty is pretty short. I'm finishing a couple of WIPs, and the remainder of the year's goal is to NOT BUY ANY FABRIC. It's not about spending money on material, but rather about using what I have. My stash pieces aren't very large (half yard, at the most), so I don't have the option of making a planned quilt in a specific color palette. So scrappy it will be. Love this concept of making scrappy yardage! Let's see if I can make it happen.

ChezVies said...

So beautiful! scrappy pouch is always the best!!